Italian Job Stunt Track @ Kings Island | Coaster Reviews

Roller Coaster Reviews

Italian Job Stunt Track @ Kings Island | Coaster Reviews
Italian Job Stunt Track - Kings IslandThe most noteworthy thing about the Italian Job coasters are the Mini Cooper themed trains. They’re straight from the ride’s namesake, the 2003 movie starring Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron. With the aforementioned movie theme and and en vogue Minis, right away Italian Job is the opposite of a timeless classic. But it’ll please the masses and theme parks like movie production companies, need crowdpleasers. I’ve never been in a Mini, but these Mini train cars must be much smaller than the real cars. Each 4 person car featured onboard speakers and reminded me of Power Wheels from my childhood.

As soon as everyone’s buckled in, you’re shot into a large upward helix in a faux parking deck. The launch (40 mph) is gentle compared to many of today’s launch coasters, but it feels fast enough. A small hill follows and next the train weaves through a highway themed area. After a few twists and turns you come to a halt. I’m guessing this next section is an industrial area of some kind. A black helicopter starts shooting at the riders. The gas tanks nearby explode and you can feel the heat. A second launch propels the trains into a building where it’s near pitch black. In the dark, the train dips and turns and has a somewhat disorientating effect. Next, you burst back into daylight straight through a billboard and down into a trench. As you dive into the trench you just miss a bridge. The train then swoops to the left and the ride is over.

I’m not a fan of short, gimmicky coasters (ahem…Hypesonic XLC), but for a family coaster Italian Job is pretty good. It even boarders on great for the audience it’s intended for. What makes me a little ill is when average park goers compare Italian Job and its clones to real thrill coasters. It’s a relatively tame family launch coaster, in that context, Italian Job is a winner. Final Rating – 6.5

Thrilling Roller Coasters - For Brave RidersItalian Job is rated ‘TH’ for Thrilling. It’s a 3 out of 5 on my Thrill Scale because of its launch.

Similar Roller Coasters:
Italian Job Stunt Track at Canada’s Wonderland
Italian Job Turbo Coaster at Kings Dominion

Got a question or comment about Italian Job (the coaster or the movies)? Leave a comment below.

1. I don't know what it is, but there's something I really love about this coaster. Maybe it's my friend's reaction after we both thought it was a kiddie coaster (clinging onto me during the helix and screaming "WHAT THE HECK!" while spiraling down the darkness) or the fact that a classmate who was sitting behind me peed himself during the ride. Maybe it was both. o_O

2. By the way that video is wrong.Thats at Kings Dominion…you can see the effiel tower in the backround.

• Kings Dominion isn't the ONLY park with a Eiffel tower!!

Kings island (Or better known as "The Brother") also has a Eiffel tower… Just look it up…

3. Nope, that's Kings Island. Kings Island has an Eiffel Tower replica too.

4. You were right about the size of the minis. They're 3/4 replicas.

5. Finally made my way back to Kings Island (just a couple months ago) for the first time in ten years. I was a season pass holder from the ages of two until about eighteen (I'm 28 now) and there's a lot that has changed with the park but still a lot remains. As for Backlot Stunt Coaster (formerly Italian Job), you pretty much summed up my feelings on what you said. Great launch for what it is and who the ride caters to, some pretty good twists and turns, one of the better family coasters I've been on. Just by looking at the ride though, you wouldn't expect the launch into the triple helix's to be quite like that. Good addition to the park. Cars are a little small. Good alternative to Adventure Express.

6. Is the one at King Island, an exact replica of the one in Kings Dominion? I have ridden the one in KD. I am in agreement with all here, it seems, that Backlot Stunt Coaster fills its role quite nicely.

7. TheRealRideWarrior, to me it doesn't seem identical to KD's Backlot Stunt Coaster. But then again, I was getting sick by the time I got on the one at KD's 2 summers ago, because I had just gotten off of that AWEFUL thing that swings your pizza out of your stomach right next to it–The Crypt! Ug, don't ride the Crypt and then do the Backlot Stunt Coaster. It's a deadly combination for nausea!!! LOL

8. TheRealRideWarrior I went to kings island this summer and i'm going to kings dominion in 1.5 weeks and yes they are exact copys I've ridden both multiple times.

9. I rode the clone at Canada's Wonderland and I remember some good airtime in the final dive. A good family coaster. 7/10

10. Does anybody else recall any airtime?

11. Family Coaster? With those launches? Uh-uh.

12. this isnt EXACTLY a family coaster, but it is more of one than like the hulk or something

13. Well, I admit you have me there. Who am I to talk? I haven't even ridden this ride or any of its clones!

14. It's a mild thrill ride.

15. No I was there last month and there is no airtime.

16. In the back on the final dive I remember some. I guess it depends on where you're sitting.

17. Did you ride this Quil? If so, did you get any airtime?

18. it always depends on where your sitting.

19. No. i didn`t ride it, i was just saying.

20. the old italian job rules