Goliath @ Six Flags Over Georgia | Coaster Reviews

Roller Coaster Reviews

Take A Spin on Goliath – The Jewel of the SouthEast
Goliath - Six Flags Over Georgia Goliath is a towering hyper coaster built at Six Flags Over Georgia in 2006. It may mark the end of an era for Six Flags. Newly appointed CEO Mark Shapiro pointed at the $20 million roller coaster in an interview and said “No more of those.” The year it was built Dan Snyder and Mark Shapiro assumed control of Six Flags. They planned to steer the large theme park chain to more family friendly rides and attractions. Goliath towers over Austell, Georgia at 200 feet (roughly 20 stories). Like other Bolliger & Mabillard hyper coasters it offers large camel back hills, a buttery smooth ride, and speed.

Goliath’s station had some type of neo-50’s theme. The roller coaster’Goliath - Six Flags Over Georgias name speaks to the chains continued uncreativity. A la, it’s big, we’ll name it Goliath. Not to mention the name is used at several other parks. Anyway, I got to the park on Wednesday morning, June 4th. I bought my season pass (that I’d be using later for my trip to Magic Mountain) and headed straight for Goliath. It was a walk-on and I was able to by-pass the now mandatory lockers for storing bags & other loose items. The small crowd that had gathered in the station was quickly dispatched thanks to Goliath’s 32 passenger, 4 across, ultra-comfortable trains.

Politics in a Theme Park?
The ride op soundedGoliath - Six Flags Over Georgia like he aspired to be a club D.J. He had the station hyped up with and screaming ‘yeah’ on cue. I appreciated the active and fun ride op until he gave an inappropriate shout out Barrack Obama for clinching the Democratic nomination. There was a weak smattering of applause in response likely from the Georgia Tech and University of Georgia students. I think most, like me, were wondering why this guy brought politics into a theme park. He was young like most ride ops and obviously didn’t know any better.

Goliath – The Trip Out
After boarding the comfortable trains, Goliath makes its twenty story climb right over the pathways in 50’sville. There’s a great view of the surrounding area and then the first 170 foot drop. As usual, the drop was much better in the back of the train as it makes the relatively (compared to other hypers) short drop feel much longer. The second drop is actually 5 feet longer and then the 3rd offers some excellent floater air time. At the bottom, the train flies close to a pond below and you can really feel the ride’s speed. The train climbs up once again to set up a great downward helix. The unorthodox helix has a ‘down the drain’ feeling and pulls some great g-forces. It trumps sister coaster Nitro’s upward helix by a mile.
Goliath - Six Flags Over GeorgiaGoliath – The Trip Back
The next hill drops the train by some trees that the park was smart to keep and next is the highlight of the ride. The train rises back up and does a quick overbanked turn to the right. It a much short overbanked turn than Nitro’s hammerhead, but it’s very effective. You feel as if you’re going to be dumped into the pond below. After, the train traverses a number of bunny hGoliath - Six Flags Over Georgiaills with decent amounts of air. The final bunny hill drops the train right into the station brakes. Goliath is a solid hyper coaster. It’s not only the park’s best roller coaster, but arguably the best coaster in the South East (south of Virginia). We’re lucky that it was built before the Snyder-Shapiro rule. Final Rating 9.0 (Excellent)

Intense Roller Coasters - For Adventurous RidersGoliath is rated ‘IN’ for Intense. It’s a 4 out of 5 on my Thrill Scale for of its height and speed.

What do you think of Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia? How do you think it matches up to other hyper coasters? Leave a comment below.

1. That's very disappointing to me that Snyder-Shapiro feel that way about coasters like Goliath. I think it will be a huge mistake and a real bummer for coaster lovers. Especially, those who live in TN, have very little close to them and look forward to the new rides like Goliath. I have been on Goliath at least 50 times since it opened and it is easily the best ride in the park. And with aging coasters that beat you to pieces like the Ninja and the the Georgia Cyclone (ouch anyone?), SFOG needs more coasters like Goliath to keep coaster fans coming back. Past that SFOG has Superman (which they slowed down it seems) and Batman, which is a great ride but was broken down for 3 of my last 5 park visits!Go Goliath though. Excellent ride.

2. Agreed Aaron, this Shapiro's new direction isn't the best news for coaster fanatics, but it's all about business and making money. At least Cedar Fair isn't scared of building big thrill rides. You may just have to drive a bit further like to Ohio for Diamondback.Thanks for reading!

3. I have news for Six Flags Georgia…if they ever got rid of Goliath you can forget me ever going to that park again. I did like the Mind Bender ok and Superman….but it wouldn't be worth a decent drive without the big boy. The problem with that park is something always seems to be down when you go. I was stuck on Batman for 10 minutes and Georgia Scorcher was down almost all day long. I would consider the six hour drive again but only if Goliath is there and they upgrade what they already have….

• trust me, they spent 20 million dollars on goliath, they arent getting rid of it any time soon

4. **batman is fast

**superman is innovative

**the georgia scorcher is fun but too short

**goliath is the best ride ever

FACT: did you know that goliath's second drop is steeper then it's first!!

5. where has the pre-drop gone? on the epic master-piece that is apollo, it is essential, yet lately its missing…

6. I've been a hugh fan of six flags over ga. for years I can remember when the mine train was the biggest and only roller coaster six flags had. I've seen that place change so much. I have not been in a couple years and I will make it my business to go this summer to ride the big boy(GOLIATH)and I live in ATL. I'm waiting for six flags to open a thrill ride like no other park has got,being another roller coaster or just a really sick ride that will bring people from all over just to ride that one ride. I also think the parks out west has the best rides.

7. You'll love Goliath, Old Skool. I'd have to disagree about the West. I'd say that the East has the best coasters. Or the Midwest and East. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, & New Jersey have some of the best coasters in the World. Oh and Florida too. Hmmm…. I smell an idea for a new post.

8. GOOD BUT NOT LONGER,TALLER,FASTER, OR BETTER

THEN THE GOLIATH AT SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN.

9. LONGER,TALLER,FASTER,…. Uh-oh. I smell fanboyism. Just curious Cole. Have you ridden both the SFMM and SFOG Goliaths? I much preferred Georgia's Goliath over the one out West. I'll have to review that one too because it's popular, but I was disappointed.

10. I agree with Cole!

I agree with him because about a blog in wikipedia go to :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_roller_coaster_records

11. im a future critic, you guys inspire me!

12. Dear,The Goliath in Six Flags La Ronde/La Ronde

I think you should put a blog about it!

13. I'd like to point-out the Snyder-Shapiro reign's effects north in Quebec, at Six Flags LaRonde.

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON??!!

Over the years before those two jerks took over, we got a B&M hyper coaster, a Batman clone, a big splash ride and one year we got 7 FLAT RIDES AT ONCE, including three awesome thrilling ones.

And now? One year, we got a cheap skycoaster pay-per-ride thing that no one cared about, the other year, NOTHING CHANGED, and in 2009, we're getting… NO, we're RENTING a haunted house. We're renting it. And guess what? For ONE SINGLE SEASON.

It's unnacceptable. I miss the times.

How's it going in the US?

• lol

14. man now alot of rides have that type of restraint bar. But Apollos Chariot is still my #1 coaster!

15. this is the type of ride BGT needs to complete an almost perfect collection of coasters, its huge in height and speed but small in track length just like this BGT could use a hyper with a customized layout

16. Yes thats exactly what ive been thinking. I wouldnt say the drop is HUGE but you know it would fit into the park really nice. They really need a nice wooden coaster in that park to top it all off, then i would give the park a 10/10

17. if gwazi was a GCI then that would be sealed

18. ya exactly

19. Which Do you perfer? Goliath or Raging Bull? CC, could you also do a top 3 thusrday on top 3 roughest steel coasters, you just did top 3 roughest woodies.

guys, if any major park needs a woodie, it`s BGW. (Busch Gardens Williamsburg)

20. I think that if any park needs a woody, its either islands of adventure, or ANY DISNEY PARK! I don't think they own a single one!

• they do have 3 in fact. Georgia Cyclone, Great American Scream Machine, and Dahlonega Mine Train. They are all freakin fun!!