Wildcat @ Hersheypark | Roller Coaster Reviews
Coaster enthusiasts often fall into two camps. Those who can excuse a rough ride on a wooden coaster and Wild Cat Roller Coaster - Hersheyparkthose who can’t. I’m in the latter camp. I don’t mind being thrown around a bit, but Wildcat just down right hurt. I rode it during my last trip to Hersheypark which kicked off my busy 2006 season.

Wildcat is a wooden twister and the first coaster built by Great Coasters International. As their name suggests, GCI went on to build some great wooden roller coasters including Thunderhead and Lightning Racer. I’d ridden Roar at Six Flags America which is an exact clone of Hershey’s Wildcat, so I figured I knew what I was in for.

The bumpy ride began with a swooping drop to the right. It’s about the only enjoyable part of the ride. The remaining 90% of Wildcat is rough and bumpy. The real low point comes about halfway through. A small hill that was likely designed for a nice, fun pop of air delivered the opposite. I was treated with a violent jerk that resulted in my leg banging against the car. After I got off, I had a small indention below my shin. Luckily, the injury didn’t break the skin. I know wooden coasters are known for their roughness, but Wildcat was excessive. Final Rating – 3.5 (Bad Approaching Below Average)

Similar Roller Coasters:
Roar at Six Flags America Largo, MD
Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Vallejo, CA
Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City Branson, MO

Did you have an equally rough ride on Wildcat? Did the recently installed (2007) Millennium Flyer trains help at all? Leave a comment below.

Photo Credits: Header photo via Creative CommonsJeremy Thomspon (Header Photo). Post Photo courtesy of CoasterImage.

About The Author

39 Responses

1. Anonymous

The new trains help, but only if you sit up front, but that still is kind of sucky because you hardly get any air up front.

2. Anonymous

all i got to say is its a good coaster and ya just need to be less of a wussy when it comes to gettin bumped around..haha i have arthritis and it was not that bad at all

3. The Coaster Critic

I just don't think coasters should be that abusive. If we were talking tackle football or full contact martial arts that'd be another thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. Some people don't seem to mind the beating.

4. Anonymous

I remember the first time I went on Wildcat I got hurt real bad. When the big bumps started coming my head hit on the seat in front of me. My lip was cut open and blood was dripping down on me everywhere. it was so bad little kids in line looked at me and left the line running. I would not recomend this roller coaster to anyone. If you get dragged on it like I did try to keep your mouth closed the whole ride. it may look really big and fun but it hurts.You should try Lighting Racer insted. It is fun to race against your friends and family.Remember Wildcat = ):

5. Emma

Hm… I guess I'm kind of young, but I think I'm a fully grown adult… anyway, probably the first time I rode the Wildcat was in 2007 and it is one of my favorite rides. I can't say I've suffered any abuse on the coaster. Maybe I was just having too much fun to realize it. Plus, I kind of enjoy the roughness of woodies, as long as it's not too rough, but I've never ridden one that I found too rough.

6. Eric Evans

Haha, it was a bit bumpy, ive taken the ride back in the 90's dont exactly know the year. I like the roughness. Growing up in NY the predator was the woody I was used to at the time. the roughness always gets my adrenaline levels up because i swear i feel like im going end up on the ground with or without the train! I thought it seemed very fast and don't agree with ur very low rating..You have to go on the ride T-express in Korea,, that is smooht fast and amazing!

7. The Coaster Critic

Emma, maybe those new trains helped, but when I rode in 2006 it was super rough. Eric, if you haven't ridden it more recently than that may be why you don't remember the roughness. Just as the case with Darien Lake's Predator, Wildcat is likely just another wooden coaster that's aged badly.

8. Anonymous

I guess I would fall into the category of not minding a rough ride. Personally I love wooden roller coasters and the wildcat is my favorite.

9. Anonymous

I've been on 43 different roller coasters and the Wild Cat at Hershey Park is my least favorite. I thought this one was worse than the Mean Streak at Cedar Point.

10. Anonymous

You are just a pansy. Sorry but the Wildcat is awsome. I rode it before and after the new trains and I don't think it beats you up to bad but even if it does it is a wooden coaster so get over it? LOl as for the bloody mouth… If you could stop yourself from folding in half to smash your mouth on the seat in front of you then you deserve what you got. And the boards on that ride are being replaced all the time especially before the summer season. Hershey takes the best care of there rides In my opinion.

11. Connor

I never rode this ride with the old coaster trains, but I guess the new trains must have really helped out, because I liked this ride. I wouldn't have given it a ten or anything close, but a 6.5 / 7 would've been fair. I agree on the supposed airtime hill, it was un-needed and rough but overall this was a pretty good ride, but one of the roughest GCI coasters I have ever ridden.

12. MarvelMaker

This coaster isn't rough at all! I think they "smoothened" it out a little, because when I went 3 years ago, my brother almost lost his glasses, but when I went 2 years ago, last year, and this year, the ride was smooth! You should go on it again, CC, you might change your mind.

13. Matthew

I went on one website saying what a wood roller coaster was. They said its a ride that is so rough and bumpy that it gives you a headache. When i saw this i was kind of confused. If that was the case, then Cyclone at Six Flags New England would be a ten no doubt. haha i really had no idea what they were thinking. I know wood coasters should throw you around a bit, but not like "im going to break my neck" rough

14. Tori

The trains definitely helped. I went in '04 and was jostled, but I came back this year thinking, from all the negative reviews I've read, that I was going to get a headache. Not so! The trains are ridiculous comfortable and I was hardly abused at all, and I was in the back. I definitely say you give the old Cat a second chance.

15. Rollercoaster Dude

I have to agree with The Coaster Critic. I rode this coaster when it was new and NEVER will ride it again, UNLESS it's in the front seat. And even at that, I'd rather wait in line for Stormrunner or Fahrenheit. This coaster has MAJOR design flaws! It shakes the crap out of you! I mean, when you get off a coaster you want to go "WOOHOOO" and not "OUCH, LOOK AT THAT CUT," or "MY HEAD HURTS LIKE IT WAS HIT BY A MACK TRUCK." So anyways, CORRECT rating. I'd even give it lower. Stick with the Commet or Lighten Racer(s) at Hershey, for woodies. They should tear this one down (but probably never will, just because it looks nice, doesn't mean in rides well)

16. Matthew

I THink The New Trains Helped A LOT. Maybe It Was Because I Sat In The Front, But This Ride Never Has A Line, So It’s Worth It. I Felt Wildcat’s Millenium Flyer Trains Are Actually Smoother That Lightning Racer’s. (Well, I Didn’t Sit In The Front On That One.)

But Overall, If You Sit In The Front, The Sense Of Open Makes It Even Cooler.

17. T-Bird

I'm so glad I didn't ride this coaster. I hate wooden coasters. They are too jerky for me. The last one I got on left bruises on my arm and my friend dislocated his shoulder.

18. T-Bird

I'm surprised you didn't rate Sidewinder and Comet. Its the only two wooden coasters I rode. Sidewinder was a major disappointment. The only reason I chanced it was because the everyone looked so happy on it while I was in line for Storm Runner. The park gave it the highest aggressive thrill ride number which made me worry about bruises but I could have fallen asleep on Sidewinder.

While Sidewinder was a snoozer, the Comet tickled me. It reminded me of the Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion where I grew up. Its one of those good ole fashion coasters without the jerks.

19. Austin

Yeah, you definitely need to ride it again… the new Millenium Flyers made a huge difference! The New Wildcat is an amazing ride.